Course Computer Systems
This is the information of year 2016
The site of the previous year
can be found here.
The official description of course baiCOSY06 can be found (in Dutch)
here. There is also a StudieWijzer available.
The course should be based on the book
Computer Systems: A programmer's perspective, 3rd edition by R.E. Bryant and D.R. O'Hallaron
(ISBN: 9781292101767, £56.9), as indicated in the course catalogue.
Notice that this the international edition, the USA edition is more expensive.
Unfortunately, the publishing date of the 3rd edition is a few months delayed and cannot be used this year.
The book has also a student site with additional material. In addition, the module 'computerarchitecture' of the book 'Van 0 en 1 tot pipeline processor' will be covered. This syllabus can be bought at the educational office.
The official schedule can be changed any moment.
Please report when you discover a difference with the schedule on this page. The course is scheduled in week 36-43.
Students, who want to work ahead or who were not able to attend a lecture,
can download the sheets from Blackboard. In addition, we will try to make some new recordings of the lectures this year. Also previous
recordings (in Dutch) are available. For these lectures, download Lecturnity Player and listen to lecture,
synchronized with the sheets.
The last hour of each day the teaching assistants will assist with the assignments. The course is given in 6 weeks, so note that in some weeks more than chapter is covered (and should be read).
This are the list of assignments during the course. The P-assignments point to an old version of the syllabus, please refer to the paper version you bought.
This are the list of recordings of the lectures of the year 2011-2012 (in Dutch):
- Monday Sept 5, 2011: Insight needed.
- Monday Sept 5, 2011: Tour of the System.
- Monday Sept 3, 2012: Bits and Bytes.
- Thursday Sept 6, 2012: Floats I, Floats II.
- Monday Sept 10, 2012: Machine Basics I and Machine Basics II.
- Thursday Sept 13, 2012: Data Structures in C.
- Monday Sept 19, 2011: Instruction Set Architecture
- Monday Sept 19, 2011: 64 Bits Machine Basics
- Wednesday Sept 21, 2011: Control in C
- Thursday Sept 22, 2011: Data Structures in C.
- Thursday Sept 22, 2011: Procedures
- Monday Oct 3, 2011: Machine Independent Code Optimalization
- Wednesday Oct 5, 2011: Machine Dependent Code Optimalization
- Thursday Oct 6, 2011: The memory hierarchy (part1 & part2)
- Monday Oct 10, 2011: Cache characteristics and Virtual memory as cache
- Wednesday Oct 12, 2011: Digital Methoden (Computer Architecture)
- Thursday Oct 13, 2011: Digitale Methoden (Computer Architecture)
- Monday Oct 17, 2011: Processes.
- Wednesday Oct 19, 2011: Webservices and concurrency.
- Wednesday Oct 20, 2011: MultiCore.
These lectures were recorded with the Lecturnity Studio.
and listen to lecture, synchronized with the sheets. Note that this recordings are converted to the official version, and can now be played on Windows, Mac and Linux.
From the book, we have covered the following sections:
- H4.3.1, H4.4, 4.5.6-4.5.8, 4.5.12,
- H5.1-5.10, 5.13-5.15
- H6.1.4, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.5, 6.6, pp. 639 & pp.649 "aside"s,
- H8.1-8.5.1, 8.7, 8.8
- H9.1-9.5, 9.7.2, 9.8.1-3, 9.11, 9.12
- H10.3, H10.4, H10.6, H10.8-10
- H11.3.3, 11.4-11.7
See also the exam page
(including solutions) from CMU.
The course was in this year evaluated by the participants with a 7.5:
In the old days, when the title Bachelors didn't exist yet at Dutch Universities
a different course was given, by a different teacher, and with another focus.
Still, much can be learned from the course 'Operating- and Distributed systems'.
- Introduction to Computer Systems, Fall 2014, Greg Kesden, Greg Ganger and Dave O'Hallaron, CMU.
- Introduction to Computer Systems, Summer 2014, Greg Kesden, CMU.
- Introduction to Computer Systems, Fall 2013, Greg Kesden, Randy Bryant, Dave O'Hallaron, CMU.
- Introduction to Computer Systems, Fall 2012, Greg Kesden, Greg Ganger, Dave O'Hallaron, CMU.
- Introduction to Computer Systems, Fall 2011, Greg Kesden, Greg Ganger, Dave O'Hallaron, CMU.
- Computer Systems Lab, Spring 2011, Stefan Freudenberger & Thomas Gross, ETHZ.
- Computer Systems Lab, Spring 2010, Stefan Freudenberger & Thomas Gross, ETHZ.
- Computer Systems Lab, Spring 2009, Stefan Freudenberger & Thomas Gross, ETHZ.
- Computer Systems Lab, Spring 2007, Matteo Corti & Thomas Gross, ETHZ.
- Author's blogspot.
Last updated September 14, 2016.
This web-page and the list of participants to this course is maintained by
University of Amsterdam