20 December, 2012
- The machine athene, replacing sparta, is a Dual-Core Pentium (E5500), running at 2.80 GHz.
October 17, 2012
- The webserver in go-language can be found here.
- Testing one of the proxies with links -config-file links.cfg -config-dir . -verbose 2, but doesn't seem to work (no log). Lets try another. Same result.
October 15, 2012
- Instead if telnet, one can use nc (short for netcat).
- The tiny makefile on my site (tiny.tar.gz) refers to the library /home/cs_ai/lib/csapp.so. Checked this file on sremote: it is from Oct 2003. I found the object-files in code, but no makefile for the shared library.
- On access (with code-all from Feb 2010), there is a makefile with the source. Yet, this makefile makes a libcsapp32.a and libcsapp64.a, but not a so.
- I made the file on staff (inside code/src).
October 11, 2012
- Telnet is not longer part of the default programs installed on Windows7. Your have to explicitly activate it in Programs->Windows Utilities.
October 8, 2012
- Recorded the memory mountain both for the Xeon E5520 (access) and the Core i3 E2210 (u030163). Clearly the three caches are visible (8Mb for the Xeon, 3Mb for the Core i3). The mountain software could be found at code-all, which should be compiled with option -D _i386_ (made a Makefile in code/mountain).
October 2, 2012
- export TMOUT=0 doesn't work at our Linux-machines.
October 1, 2012
- Tested proxylab on u030312. Lynx is no longer available. Made a links.cfg and tested with working proxy. No firewall problems on a localhost.
- The makefile in the handout is still the Fall 2002 version. First download new lab and change to /opt/pract. The proxy lab isn't updated since 2003!
September 30, 2012
- Reading The Crest of the Peacock. In chapter two is menotioned that on Papua New Guinea many counting systems were invented, such as a base-27 system from the Oksapmin Papua (including elbows and face in the counting) and a base-2 system from the Cumulgal aboriginals (urapon (1), ukasar (2), ukasar-urapon (3), ukasar-ukasar (4), ukasar-ukasar-urapon (5), etc). More information can be found in this publication.
September 19, 2012
- Tried to do ./grade-datalab.pl -f handin/EvavanWeelCaspervanHouten-
1/bits.c, but script fails on datalab/src/dlc': No such file or directory.
- Copied dlc from datalab/puzzle9 (most recent). Copied datalab-handout/puzzle1/Makefile (most recent) to src/Makefile-handout. Copied cp ../datalab-handout/Driverlib.pm ../grade.
- Solved it by adding explicit path to Driverlib.pm to src/driver.pl. Still, the grading fails because the bits.h doesn't define the functins in bits.c
September 10, 2012
September 6, 2012
- The machines in G0.18 are according to /proc/cpuinfo of model 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz' (family 6, model 42, stepping 7), which is Sandy Bridge design (22nm).
- They have avx.
September 2, 2012
- The installation at fnwi.uva.nl is missing /usr/include/gnu/stubs-32.h. Copied one from sparta.
- Linking is now missing crt1.o. Copied it from /usr/lib/. Yet, linker could still not find it (although I added in the Makefile for btest). Replaced the option -m32 for -m64.
- Made the links at sparta, and made 20 puzzles.
September 1, 2012
Tried to make an individual puzzle. Made links to the different phases in phases/phases. That seems to work, but something goes wrong (should first try a make -f makefile in ../src):
[avisser1@access phases]$ ./makepuzzle.pl -l Fall2012 -i 1 -u group1 -s ../src/
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: dlcdir: No such file or directory
../phases/makephases.pl -p acacca -d ../phases/phases -i 1 -u group1 > selections.c
gcc -O1 -g -Wall -m32 -c btest.c
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:385,
/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [btest.o] Error 1
./makepuzzle.pl: ERROR: could not make the puzzle in ../src/
August 30, 2012
- Renamed on mremote the datalab and used the instruction on datanose: lftp sftp://firstname.lastname@example.org followed by mirror -c onderwijs/CS/assistance/datalab.
- Started puzzle-requestd on sparta:15213. Couldn't login into u030225.fnwi.uva.nl (back to Windows).
- Tried to reach sparta:15213. Unfortunatelly, I get the script but no response (seems only to work in science-domain). Started the server on u019962.fnwi.uva.nl, but here port 15213 (and 8008 and 1024) could start up, but no script is displayed. Don't forget to get a monitor for u019962.fnwi.uva.nl, because the small display doesn't seem to have a recognized resolution.
- Looked at the puzzles directory. At 17h00 puzzle42 was succesfully requested. At 17h15 (when I tried) the directory puzzle48 remained empty.
May 10, 2012
- Read an article about the microprocessor history, including a database with all models from the 4004 onwards.
January 10, 2012
- In a memorium of John McCarty in the IEEE Spectrum the claim was made that LISP gave other programming languages the if-then-else clause. Wikipedia confirms this claim. Lisp was the second oldest programming language (after FORTRAN), and the cond was inherited via ALGOL towards C.
January 2, 2012
- Read an article about AMD's new Orochi architecture. A sideremark was that Intel's latest architectures (Nehalem and Sandy Bridge) there is a loop-cache of 28 µOPs; a loop which consists of less µOPs is twice as fast. This makes loop unrolling counterproductive.
- Couldn't find in /proc/cpuinfo or sandpile.org how to query the existance of a loopcache.