Started Labbook 2022.
December 22, 2021
- New HP Omen arrived.
- After installing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS no signal on HDMI. Went to Software and selected Nvidia 470 as alternative drivers (tested), instead of niveau.
- Now it works, although the screen doesn't wake up after sleep at 75 Hz. At 60 Hz that is no problem.
- The mouse became small and red. Changing the cursor size with gsettings didn't work. Repaired that with resetting gnome-tweaks to default settings.
- Increased the font by installing gnome-extensions, extract gnome-shell.css, copy that style script to ~/.local/shared/themes/myYaru, add a font-size to the panel section, and add the myYaru shell in the appearance tab of gnome-tweaks.
November 22, 2021
- Reinstalling my porgrams on my Shuttle. Pulse had to be installed twice, because the additional drive seems to be a virtual network device.
- The default Ubuntu from WSL is 20.04. Did an update, upgrade. ssh works, as demonstrated by this post.
November 20, 2021
- Found in the BIOS of my Shuttle the option to select between onboard, PCI or switchable GPU. Switched from PCI to onboard, and Windows was installing the Drivers for the Nvidia Quadro 600 automatically. Reboot is quite slows, but at the end it works. The Windows driver is from 2015. Starting the Nvidia Experience to update the drivers.
- Set the BIOS to switchable. Also enabled the TPM, to see if that would make my device Windows 11 compatible.
- The system is now Windows 11 compatible, but the update/upgrade to H2 fails.
- Tried most of the recovery options, but all seem to fail. SHould try Go back to previous version option. Switched in BIOS back to onboard GPU. Still hanging in starting up Windows. System is preparing Automatic recovery.
- The BIOS of Shuttle is the latest version (1.15).
- The Shuttle has both a connector for COM and USB. Seems like the card reader uses the internal USB4-port (next to the DIMM slots, but that one is occupied. The Shuttle has behind his door an open slot for a card reader or disk-drive. Saw no options for the power.
- Connecting the SSD from the U020061 could be done with cable, although this is otimal one.
- Back to factory settings (Keeping personal files). That works. Windows is doing multiple updates directly thereafter (including 21H1). Previous installed programs like Pulse, Chrome and Office are unfortunatelly missing.
- Plugging in the Nvidia Quadro 600 again (still on onboard). The Quadro drivers are (still) installed.
- Rebooting with switchable selected in my BIOS. None of the options gives an output on the Quadro.
- The 4Gb RAM is DDR3, so of no use for my Shuttle.
- The card reader works fine (tested it with MS Pro from the Aibo's. Saw open-r on the stick) once connected to the USB4 intern, but that connector was already used. Could buy an cable to use it externally :-)
- Luckily there is another unused USB2 header. Connected the red wire to upper left (pin 2), which also works.
- Mounted the card reader in the floppy disk slot. SSD is no longer fixed to the bay.
November 1, 2021
- Had a .dbus directory in my home-directory, which was owned by root. Changed it to be owned by the user, but the subdirectories are still from the root. According to adkubuntu, they should all belong to the user. Changed the ownership recursively.
- Seems that a lot of space is occupied with some experiments from March 3 with the transfer learning toolkit. Moved this directory to the DATA-disk.
- The DATA-disk is already quite full, thanks to ./projects/roboresc/atlas/scannet (1.1 TB).
October 23, 2021
- Went into the BIOS of WS10, saw no option to disable UEFI.
- Disabled the Firmware TPM and EUFI Firmware Capsule Updates, but still the system is frozen with Loading initial ramdisk ...
- Tried the option Optimized Settings, to see if this helps. Now booting takes longer, still no progress (not even the error, just the Lambda screen if I boot without splash).
- Went back to the previous values (boots much faster), and disabled UEFI pathe security (which was always, except internal HDD). Still frozen with Loading initial ramdisk ..., even when I added dis_ucode_ldr to the linux line in grub.
- If I add nomodeset, I got further (but still holds on a screen with a single _ prompt).
October 22, 2021
- Trying to login on WS10, but HDMI gives no output. Rebooting gives no progress, tried no-splash with F10, but to no avail. Should have removed both "quiet splash". Note that I could login at August 23.
- F2 brings me to the grub command-line, exit gives Windows. First gives this partition a well deserved update.
- Also the other kernel (5.11.0-37 instead of -38) gives no response other than the AlienWare logo. See no display outlets from motherboard.
- Going into kernel-38 recovery mode. Doing a sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade. This includes some nvidia-470, python3-torch-cuda and ros-foxy updates.
- Rebooted. Without splash, it is displayed that the boot is hanging on Loading initial ramdisk.
- The issue seems that UEFI has problems with restarting in different display configuration. Tried the dis_ucode_ldr trick, but to no avail. Will try a BIOS update before switching off UEFI / Secure boot.
- Checked under Windows with SupportAssist from Dell (Aurora R11 had service tag BWTL0D3). There are three updates, QualComm BlueTooth driver, a Intel Chipset management driver and a BIOS update (from 1.0.5 to 1.0.8). I first didn't get a display signal of my grub, but now I do. The DVI screen is black, but the HDMI screen works for Windows. Downloading and Installing Windows 21H1.
- BIOS update didn't help, still freezing at Loading the ramdisk.
October 21, 2021
- After updating to Ubuntu 21.10, Karlijn's laptop didn't respond to mouse or keyboard once the HDMI was connected. A command sudo apt-get purge nvidia* solved this issue.
October 6, 2021
- After the Grub-menu, the Ubuntu boot of nb-ros showed the busybox screen again (initramfs prompt).
- Trying some suggestions from askubuntu.
- Which actually worked, was typing exit. The prompt came back with the suggestion to manually check the disk sda3, so fsck /dev/sda3 -y solved the issue. Now exit continues with the boot.
September 14, 2021
- This instructions describe which we should have done as dual-boot configuration for the HP-Omen.
September 12, 2021
- In Computer Techniek Sept 2021 the suggestion was made to try the Gnome-40 desktop inside Ubuntu 21.04. Maybe a way to fix my input problem.
- First had to do sudo apt-get install software-properties-common, before I coud do add-apt-repository.
- The instructions are equivalent with those here, although here also the option is given to use a gnome-session with Adwaita theme. Installed both options.
- I have now the new theme (looks like a Mac), but still no response on my input devices.
- Tried if I could start wayland, but wetson complained logind: failed to get session seat. Tried some tricks from this post, but even after setting DG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/xdg weston fails to start (although loginctl seems OK).
- Followed the instruction to uninstall nvidia completly. Most parts seems unnecessary (all nvidia packages were already gone). Trick seemed to be sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop: after a reboot finally my mouse and keyboard worked again! Problem solved.
September 3, 2021
- At TNO, I succeeded again to login, from my nb-dual Windows partition, with VPN off.
- This time, the portal asked for the next RSA sequence, which was new.
August 18, 2021
- Strange enough /usr/lib is owned by me as user. Yet, changing ownership with sudo chown root /usr/lib doesn't work. Found the problem: ls -galt shows the grp, not the owner. sudo chgrp root /usr/lib works.
August 16, 2021
- The graphic interface WSLg will become available in the next Windows release. Now the command wsl --update, as suggested on Microsofts github page, doesn't work yet. Checked wsl --list -v, both Ubuntu version are already running WSL2.
- WSL2 also allows to run CUDA code as good as native.
- For installation instructions, see Nvidia's documentation.
July 24, 2021
- The keyboard issue is still not resolved. Tried a touchscreen and a wireless mouse / keyboard, to no avail.
- Tried to login via ssh. I could ping, but ssh seems to be blocked.
- First try to install the openssh-server, as indicated in this post.
- Could login. The regular dmesg -wT failed, because reading kernel buffer is not permitted. Did sudo dmesg -wT. This message-log shows that the USB devices are recognized, and the keyboard and mouse are seen as input devices.
- Nothing usefull in Debugging Mouse Detection.
- Checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log that mentions for all input devices: config/udev: Adding input device USB Optical Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0); No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
- Looked with udevadm info -q all -n /dev/input/event4, but all parameters seems ok.
- See a warning dells-mbios: WMI SMBIOS userspace interface not supported, try upgrading BIOS.
- Otherwise, I should try to disable the slow keys from the keyboard, as suggested in this post.
- Next option is to purge gnome-desktop icons.
July 7, 2021
- My workstation doesn't respond to the keyboard and mouse after reboot.
- In recovery mode it does.
- Used this trick to skip the login screen, which gives the Hippo desktop of Ubuntu 21.04. Yet, still no response on my mouse or keyboard.
- Inspected via the recovery mode /var/log/dmesg.0. The usb services seems to be loaded on usb 1-10 and 1-13. Signals Starting Coldplug all udev devices.
- Ends with rfkill: input handler disabled, which is harmless.
- The log /var/log/dmesg ends with Failed to lookup gem object for fence attach (for nvidia_drm)
- That didn't help, so tried sudo apt-get purge nvidia*. Still no mouse or keyboard!
- Trying to install the BIOS update from March 2021 from Dell website.
June 1, 2021
- After an update, Windows10 suddenly asked for a PIN for WS10.
- Tried to solve this by first installing the last quality update.
- That didn't help. Uninstalling the latest feature update couldn't be performed, instead they suggested to completely reset the PC.
- Instead did a system restore of the point set yesterday.
- Now the option of forgotten PIN is gone.
- Added another admin with the commands from this post, but that fails.
- Tried to add AllowDomainPINLogon, as suggested in this post.
- Tried to add UserTile in regedit, because I don't have that key, as suggested in this post.
- Finding the sid with wmic useraccount get name,siddoesn't work (no Instance available).
- Tried to enable UserSwitch.
- Find that I could find the SID with whoami /user
- Using the suggested GUID didn't work, but looked at possible GUID in key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers. Added Disabled key to PasswordProvider (set to 0), and wanted to set this GUID in UserTile. Yet, the UserTile key is gone after reboot.
- Tried the Reset Windows option, as suggested here.
- That works. Now I get the option forget PIN again. Set a new PIN, and found out that for Microsoft account PIN is a password option (if you allow characters and symbols).
- Reinstalled Optitrack again.
May 27, 2021
- Cleaning up the Optitrack PC in the lab. The machine has number U020061 and contains several disks.
- Computer is the volume used for the default boot Ubuntu 18.04, with /opt/ros/kinetic. 21 Gb of 385 Gb is used.
- The 100Gb volume contains data from users pkok, robolab, test and workshop. This partition contains /opt/ros/indigo. 64Gb of this volume is used.
- The 96Gb volume contains data from robolab. This partition contains /opt/ros/fuerte and /opt/ros/groovy. 33Gb of this volume is used.
- Of the volume BigButSlow 120 Gb of the available 239 Gb is used.
- The data on BigButSlow is from 2012 onwards. Contains information from ndijkshoorn, Duncan, Camiel, sebastien. The latest additions are from August 2020 (Optitrack).
- The OS partition is the 106 Gb Windows partition on the SSD, the other partitions are on the slow HardDisk.
April 28, 2021
- Used the Windows SD Card formatter to format my corrupted dual-usb. The result is a disk with exFat, which should be readable with modern Linux kernels.
- Becasuse I upgraded from earlier Ubuntu versions, I had to use tricks mentiond in this post: sudo modprobe -v exfat followed by adding exfat to /etc/modules.load.d/modules.conf, followed by a reboot.
- Unfortunatelly, Nvidia Jetpack 4.4 has an older version, and exfat-fuse and exfat-utils are not available for aarch64. Should build from source if I really want it. Instead used another (NTFS) disk to do the exchange.
March 22, 2021
- Cleared libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-xenial and all of its dependencies, and now sudo apt upgrade also works again.
- Yet, it likes to upgrade 83 packages and install several packages, which it cannot do without internet access.
- Looked with sudo dpgk -l | grep systemd, but I only get systemd-services and libusystemd.
- Installing sudo apt-get install --reinstall systemd also requires 83 upgrades and 45 new install packages, ost not in /var/cache/apt/archives.
- I can also not read an usb-stick, so I think that I need to reinstall from scratch.
- Also old recovery nodes were missing the Modem, so back to factory settings (Ubuntu 12.04).
- Changed in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades from never to lts. After that the update-manager offert to the opportunity to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04.06.
- Can continue with Installing R200 drivers for ROS Indigo.
- The bitkey that I stored August 2020 was not the key they asked, but I could recover the key from my microsoft account. Also stored a copy of the keys on my home-computer. My Windows partition of nb-dual works again.
March 18, 2021
- Had a lot of difficulty with removing libxml-sax-expat-perl, because it used perl modules in its prerm script. First tried to download that modules in /etc/perl, but at the end went to /var/lib/dpgk/info and edited the prerm script to just echo.
- Had a dual-conflict between libwww-perl and liblwp-protocol-https-perl (both depending on each other), but by removing them in one command that was solved.
- Was able to do sudo apt-get install --fix-broken again. Did a sudo autoremove. Checked the kernel, still 4.40 (with bionic). There are still more than 1000 packages to be upgraded, but tried first if a reboot worked agian. Unfortunatelly still stuck at Stopping save udev log and update rules
- Starting the network now fails because the ModemManager is shut down.
- Checked with dmesg, lsusb, ifconfig -a, ip link show, and it seems that ethernet is working (although no messages are sent). wpasupplicant is one of the packages that in the list to be updated, although its deb is not in the cache.
- Did a check on systemctl status ModemManager.service, but systemctl is not installed! Could try to install it with apt upgrade, but this has still conflicts (while apt-get update works).
March 17, 2021
- Had to activate both the trusty as bionic-updates to be able to do a sudo apt-get update. Still some complains about lucid and docker repositories, but bionic is now upgrading its linux-firmware.
March 16, 2021
- My nb-ros is in trouble. It had Ubuntu 14.04, but a sudo apt-get upgrade started a partial update so that I now have a Linux 4.4 with Ubuntu 18.04 according to lsb_release -a. The /etc/apt/sources.list contained both trusty (14.04) and bionic (18.04) entries.
- In recovery mode, sudo apt-get install -f didn't work, so removed all ros-indigo packages the nuclear way sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq. Add the end sudo apt-get upgrade worked again, although not for the default boot option. Also the 2nd kernel didn't work. Try the oldest (3.13). That is at least 14.04!
February 24, 2021
- I upgraded the Jetson Nano from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, but was stuck with upgrading the software, because sudo snap install chromium failed to mount. Strange, because sudo snap install core worked.
- Solved it by doing sudo dpkg --configure -a, which indicated that there was dependency (chromium-browser-l10n). Removed both packages with suod dpkg --remove, which allowed me to do sudo apt upgrade again.
February 14, 2021
- Found this blog on how to combine WSL2, GPU and docker.
February 1, 2021
- Tried uva-vpn on my workstation, didn't work
- Added "UvA VPN" as suggested linux.datanose.nl, to no avail.
- Used the sudo openconnect trick to get a link to the vpn webinterface, which also doesn't work. That was also as far as I came last year.
- Installed Pulse as instructed at uva.nl. That works!
January 25, 2021
- Could no longer login at my workstation, but that was because I switched the display-port.
- With the original display port I could login without any problems.
- Didn't needed root reset trick.
January 13, 2020