Office F2.13, Science Park 107, Amsterdam.
I am a postdoc at ILLC, which is part of the University of Amsterdam.
I'm working in the area of natural language semantics under the supervision of Reinhard Muskens.
The focus of our project is the application of abductive reasoning to modelling the semantics/pragmatics interface.
I am also interested in the semantics/pragmatics interface in a more general way, and in particular the mechanisms of exhaustification, the semantics of questions, and the role of alternatives in meaning.
I completed my Ph.D. at Institut Jean Nicod in Paris, under the supervision of Benjamin Spector.
Before getting into linguistics, I studied theoretical computer science and machine learning.
My name is pronounced /emil ɑ̃gø.aʁ/.
You can find my academic CV here.
- Émile Enguehard (2023). Some formal results on the upward-monotonic bias, communicative stability, the strongest answer condition, and exhaustification. Ms. University of Amsterdam.
- Émile Enguehard (2021). Explaining presupposition projection in (coordinations of) polar questions. Natural Language Semantics 29, 527–578.
- Émile Enguehard and Benjamin Spector (2021). Explaining gaps in the logical lexicon of natural languages: A decision-theoretic perspective on the square of Aristotle. Semantics and Pragmatics 14.
- Émile Enguehard (2020). Minimal sufficiency readings of necessity modals. Proceedings of NELS 50.
- Émile Enguehard and Emmanuel Chemla (2019). Connectedness as a constraint on exhaustification. Linguistics and Philosophy 44, 79–112.
- Émile Enguehard (2018). Comparative modified numerals revisited: granularity, scalar implicatures and blindness to context. Proceedings of SALT 28.
- Émile Enguehard, Edward Flemming, and Giorgio Magri (2018). Statistical Learning Theory and Linguistic Typology: a Learnability Perspective on OT’s Strict Domination. Proceedings of SCiL 1.
- Émile Enguehard, Yoav Goldberg, and Tal Linzen (2017). Exploring the Syntactic Abilities of RNNs with Multi-task Learning. ConLL 2017.
- Émile Enguehard (2023). What number marking on indefinites means:
conceivability presuppositions and sensitivity to probabilities.
Sinn und Bedeutung 28, RUB.
- Émile Enguehard (2022). A bilateral dynamic semantics for questions and propositions. MLC seminar, ILLC.
- Émile Enguehard (2018). Tying the denotation of “tall” to considerations of utility. WIP-LANG seminar, ENS.
- Émile Enguehard (2021). On the role of alternatives at the semantics/pragmatics interface. Structural and contextual factors in pragmatics (Ph.D. thesis).
- Émile Enguehard (2016). Weakly-supervised segmentation applied to audio-to-score alignment (master's thesis).