I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Intelligent Systems Lab Amsterdam of the University of Amsterdam, working with dr. Marcel Worring. In 2013 I received my PhD from the Delft University of Technology, where I conducted research at the Multimedia Computing Group under supervision of Prof.dr. Alan Hanjalic, dr. Martha Larson and Prof.dr.ir. Inald Lagendijk. In my research I aim at enabling multimedia information retrieval based on the relevance criteria defined at a higher semantic level, by jointly analyzing visual content and the heterogeneous information associated with it, ranging from text and automatically generated metadata to information about users and their social network. My current research focus is on user-centered summarization of multimedia collections.
- 11.12.2014: CROWDEO, a research assistant proposal submitted by Lora Aroyo (VU Amsterdam) and me has been approved by Amsterdam Data Science.
- 03.12.2014: I received the Outstanding Reviewer Award at the Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia (PCM).
- 05.11.2014: Jan, Marcel and I won the Multimedia Grand Challenge 1st Prize with our submission New Yorker Melange: Interactive Brew of Personalized Venue Recommendations. [paper][system]
Selected publicationsFor a more complete list of publications, click here.
- S. Rudinac, M. Larson, and A. Hanjalic, “Learning crowdsourced user preferences for visual summarization of image collections”, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 15, issue 6, pp. 1231-1243, October 2013.
- S. Rudinac, A. Hanjalic, and M. Larson, “Generating visual summaries of geographic areas using community-contributed images,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 15, issue 4, pp. 921-932, June 2013.
- S. Rudinac, M. Larson, and A. Hanjalic, “Leveraging visual concepts and query performance prediction for semantic-theme-based video retrieval,” in International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval, vol. 1, issue 4, 2012, pp. 263-280.
Teaching at UvA
- BSc course Informatievisualisatie (Information Visualisation), June 2014
- S3MR 2011 - 2nd Summer School on Social Media Retrieval, Antalya, Turkey, June 26 - July 1 2011.
- S3MR 2010 - 1st Spring School on Social Media Retrieval, Interlaken, Switzerland, February 22nd - 25th 2010.
Reviewer for the following international journals
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- IEEE MultiMedia magazine
- Information Processing & Management
- Journal of Information Retrieval
- Signal Processing: Image Communication Journal
Reviewer for the following international conferences and workshops
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ACM ICMR 2015)
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM MM 2014)
- IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2014, 2015)
- ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for Television and Online Video (ACM TVX 2014)
- Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia (PCM 2014)
- ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (ACM CIKM 2011, 2012, 2013)
- ACM International Conference on Internet Multimedia Computing and Service (ACM ICIMCS 2013)
- ACM Workshop on Crowdsourcing for Multimedia (CrowdMM 2012)
- International Workshop on Information Fusion in Computer Vision for Concept Recognition (ECCV-IFCVCR 2012)
- European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2011)