I'm an Associate Professor (universitair hoofddocent)
at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam.
My research concerns the use of formal methods in artificial intelligence, specifically in multiagent systems and knowledge representation.
In recent years I have mostly focused on problems at the interface of artificial intelligence with economics and political science,
and much of this work falls under the heading of computational social choice.
Specific research topics in this domain include preference modelling, voting theory, judgment aggregation, fair division, negotiation, and auctions.
I have also worked on agent communication languages, automated reasoning, abduction, modal and temporal logics, and software tools for teaching logic.
To get a better impression of what I do, have a look at the webpage of my
research group, read some of my papers,
or browse through the events and activities I'm involved in.
- Book on Trends in Computational Social Choice (open access)
- Handbook of Computational Social Choice (direct access to free online copy from CUP)
- Dutch Social Choice Colloquium (subscribe to the mailing list here)
- Local seminars:
Computational Social Choice Seminar
Computational Social Choice,
Problem Solving and Search,
Summer School Tutorials
- Survey papers:
COMSOC Short Intro,
Logic and Social Choice,
COMSOC FET Pamphlet,
COMSOC MAS Chapter,
- Computational logic tools:
WinKE (teaching logic),
CIFF (abductive logic progamming),
Wellington (description logics)
- Computational Social Choice website and COMSOC Workshop Series
- COST Action IC1205 on Computational Social Choice (chair and NL representative)
- My old home: Group of Logic,
Language and Computation at King's College London
- Recommended reading for my fellow academics:
Bibliometric Evaluation of Computer Science (Mattern, 2008),
The Fall of the Faculty (Ginsberg, 2011),
What are Universities for? (Collini, 2012)
- Unsolicited advice: how to write a paper, how to give a talk, how to write a review